Interview with Accountant Jason Deshayes, CPA/PFS, CFP®
About Jason Deshayes, CPA/PFS, CFP®: Jason is the is the Director of Tax Planning at Cook Wealth in Raleigh. Cook Wealth helps clients with; everyday finances, family legacy planning, tax planning, debt management, investment management, cash flow optimization, business transactions and basically anything financially related.
Jason has a wealth of knowledge and experience in accounting and finance. Before joining Cook Wealth Jason worked as an Accounting Advisory Senior Manager with Elliot Davis and as a Senior Manager with the Association of International Certified Professional Accountants where he focused on firm relations and firm succession resources.
Prior to that, Jason worked in public accounting for 14 years, five of which were as an owner in a small boutique firm in Albuquerque, NM. He provided tax, accounting and consulting advice to individuals and closely-held businesses, with a focus on professional services, medical and veterinary practices, individual taxation and business start-ups.
Jason has served in several leadership roles in every community he has lived in. In North Carolina, he currently serves as a member of the Rotary Club of Cary and as the Treasurer of the Small Firm & Technology Leadership committee at the North Carolina Bar Association. In New Mexico, Jason served on the board for New Mexico Health Connections, the President of Alta Mira of New Mexico, President of the Active 20-30 Club of Albuquerque and National President of Active 20-30 Club US & Canada.
In 2011, Jason was honored as one of New Mexico's "40 under Forty" by the New Mexico Business Weekly. In 2015, 2016 and 2017, he was named to CPA Practice Advisor’s 40 Under 40. Outside of the office, Jason enjoys spending time with his wife, Tina, his sons, Levi and Micah, and their daughter Glory and their dogs.
Besides spending time with his family, Jason likes travelling, acrylic painting and is an avid bike rider.
Host Elizabeth Hanes BSN RN built a six-figure writing business in her spare time. Today, she coaches other nurses how to become freelance writers through the RN2writer project.
Topics discussed in this episode:
- 4:02 What do CPA, PFS, and CFP stand for?
- 5:54 What can a CPA help you with before you generate income?
- 9:30 How can freelancers figure this out on their own?
- 13:30 Do I need to setup a business entity before I start?
- 21:55 What is the difference between a bookkeeper and accountant?
- 27:35 Should you make a budget for your business?
- 32:42 Where can someone find a CPA?
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Jason Deshayes, CPA/PFS, CFP®: https://cookwealth.com/jason-deshayes/
Sarah Lay Bookkeeping: https://srlaccounting.com/
- Download and listen to the podcast of this episode at RN2writer
- Start your journey from nursing to writing with the ebook Design Your Dream Career as a Nurse Writer
- Follow RN2writer on social media: Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn
Special thanks to:
Custom RN2writer theme music by https://www.podcastthemes.com/