The RN2writer Show Episode 7: What Editors Want with Marijke Vroomen Durning RN – an Original Nurse Writer
About Marijke Vroomen Durning: Marijke Vroomen Durning went into nursing right after high school, which in Quebec is at age 17. After many years of working at the bedside and as a clinical supervisor and instructor, she began writing and editing medical and health information around 1993. After dislocating her shoulder in a freak accident, Marijke gave up clinical work permanently in 2010 and focused on writing and editing ever since.
She has written for various print and online outlets, such as Costco Connection, Forbes.com, Parade, Memorial Sloan Kettering, and more, and is currently the Director of Content for Sepsis Alliance. When asked for an elevator pitch, Marijke usually says that health writing is like the patient bedside teaching nurses are supposed to do, but never really have time for. And instead of sharing information one patient and family at a time, she's reaching thousands of people.
Host Elizabeth Hanes BSN RN built a six-figure writing business in her spare time. Today, she coaches other nurses how to become freelance writers through the RN2writer project.
Topics discussed in this episode:
- 2:25 How did Marijke discover the world of nurse writing?
- 6:27 What does a managing editor do?
- 7:44 What makes an LOI stand out?
- 12:00 When “your first interview” REALLY starts
- 15:44 What do freelancers do that drive you insane?
- 25:25 Editor for Sepsis Alliance
- 31:13 Freelancing from another country
- 34:50 Does your education level affect your success?
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Grammarly: https://www.grammarly.com/
- RN2writer STAT Program: https://go.rn2writer.com/stat-program
- Sepsis Alliance: https://www.sepsis.org/
- Download and listen to the podcast of this episode at RN2writer
- Start your journey from nursing to writing with the ebook Design Your Dream Career as a Nurse Writer
- Follow RN2writer on social media: Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn